Sunday, August 9, 2009

When We’re Faced With the Test

As a student, I always prided myself on my good study skills and retention of knowledge. And every test I passed was confirmation of my academic strength. However, as a Christian, I’m not always as secure that my studying of the Word is up to par or that I am as good at retaining wisdom. And when the tests of life come my way, I’m not always sure that I’m spiritually strong enough to pass them.

Recently, I was faced with a pretty obvious spiritual test. Without getting into the gory details, I immediately recognized the principles at work. I had two choices. I could either a) do what I wanted to do or b) do what God would have me do in the situation. Unfortunately, I chose the first option and failed the test. Miserably.

In the days to follow, I felt as though I had a big, red, “F” emblazoned across my heart. But you see, the great thing about God is that He is an excellent Teacher. When we fail, he doesn’t just give us the “F” and send us on our way. He convicts and then corrects. He shows us why we failed and gives us the wisdom we need to help us when we’re faced with the test again. (Oh, and trust me, my brothers and sisters in Christ, there is ALWAYS a make-up test.)

That’s why it is so important to stay in the Word. 2 Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

When we’re faced with the tests of life, it’s great to know that the answers are in the Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!