Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Role of Race

At a time when we have a Black man in the white house, many have been quick to point out that racism is dead. However, after the recent incident involving the arrest of a famous Black scholar at his own home and the President’s subsequent comments, the issue of race has again become center stage. And many ugly truths about the role that race plays in our lives are coming to light.

I’ve heard it said that, “Sunday morning at 11:00 a.m. is the most segregated hour in America.” Many would agree there are vast differences between “typical” African American worship services and others. And one could argue that “Black churches” and “White churches” are just a result of the neighborhoods they are in. But I still find it very strange that I currently attend church service in a predominantly white community—but the entire congregation is Black.

Even in my mission travels I’ve noticed the role that race plays. I’ve traveled to two vastly different African countries. And I’ll concede that the color of my skin made it easier for me to see the people I met as my very own brothers, sisters and children. Yet I’ve spoken first-hand to others who seemed to view their mission as, “We’re going to save the savages.” I often wonder if mission trips to European countries have the same undertone.

Jesus didn’t segregate. He preached to the Jews as well as the Gentiles. In fact, in Romans 2, Paul condemns prejudice (passing judgment against someone else) and in verse 11 declares, “God does not show favoritism.” Not race, not ethnic background, nor any other human distinction will influence the salvation of a person’s soul. Christ came to save all of mankind.

The parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25–37) becomes even more powerful when you realize that the helpful and loving Samaritan was from an oppressed class of people. He was, in essence, helping out a man who any other time may have spit in his face. Jesus shows us that God’s Love has no room for racism, prejudice, or segregation.

If we are a reflection of Christ, everyone should see themselves in us.



1 comment:

  1. the good samaritan was on his way somewhere the bible never tell he was riding on his donkey and notice a stranger in need and he put the stranger on the donkey and he walk provided room and food for the stranger question to all beleviers when was the last time you inconvince your self to make it convint for someone else

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message!