Sunday, February 21, 2010

Down, But Not Out

For many of us, the year started off with a bang. We made plans and we made promises. We declared our resolutions for the year: To lose weight, to save money, to be more organized, to stay focused. And here we are, two months into the year, and how are we doing? We’ve gained a few extra pounds, we’ve splurged on unnecessary items, we’ve lost track of our organization, we’ve gotten distracted. Yep, we’ve fallen down. But don’t worry...we’re not out!

The best intentions are often thwarted by minor setbacks. Just when we are starting to get into the groove of a new way of living or doing things, up creeps an old habit that throws us off our new rhythm. Unfortunately, this is the point when many of us throw up our hands and say, “Aw, forget it! I can’t do this!” (For those of us who are in denial, think about it. It really is THAT easy to give up.)

Old habits may occasionally trip us up, but we shouldn’t give them the power to defeat us. Let’s say you’ve decided to cut back on junk food this year. But you somehow ended up on your living room couch surrounded by a bag of Doritos, a box of Entenmann’s donuts, and a pizza delivery on the way. This is not the time to throw up your hands and say, “Well, that’s it! I’ve failed!” Instead, acknowledge, assess, and affirm:

Acknowledge that you’ve fallen down. This may include taking it before the Lord in prayer.
Assess what triggered the set back. You may realize that there may be situations and stimuli you may need to avoid in the future.
Affirm your commitment to reaching your goal. Then brush yourself off and try again!

Even Paul acknowledged that he faced difficulties along the way to achieving his spiritual goals. Philippians 3:13–14 says, “Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” The key here is that Paul teaches us that in order to reach the goal, we have to keep going, in spite of yesterday’s setbacks or shortcomings.

I’m going to keep pressing on toward my goal. I may have just gotten started, but I’ve gone too far to turn back now!




1 comment:

  1. Amen!You are preaching to the choir.. I totally agree we should take everything to the Lord in Prayer..I am currently going through this situation myself..Thanks for the encouragement..Alicia, may you continue to let God use you as him mighty vessel..Blessings and prosperity to you and yours..Alicia Fletcher

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message!