Sunday, August 3, 2008

I’m Not Doing That!

I developed a bad habit. I became quick to say what I would or would not do.

In my defense, I had formerly been the person who said, “yes” to everything. Want me to watch someone’s ill-behaved kids for a few hours? “Yes!” Want me to loan out a few dollars that will never be paid back? “Yes!” Want me to volunteer my time to do something that no one else wants to do? “Yes! Yes! Yes!” It became so overwhelming and cumbersome that one morning, I woke up and decided, “I’m not doing that!”

No longer did I sign up for things that required more time and energy than anyone else was willing to contribute. No longer did I go out of my way to help people who were helpless all the time. No longer did I do anything that I didn’t feel like doing. But did I become a better person for it? Not at all. Because I had gotten so good at it, that even when the Holy Spirit gave me direction, I said, “No, I’m not doing that!” That led to massive disobedience on my part and major consequences for me.

I tried to justify my new behavior by pleading with God that my “Yes!” mentality was problematic. People were taking advantage of me left and right. Then I was reminded that the Bible tells us that if our brother takes advantage of us, we are not to withdraw our efforts or hold back our love toward him. That’s the spirit of Luke 6:30–31 which says, “Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.” When it comes to our time, our energy, and our resources, we are to be always willing to give as Christ has always given – and continues to give – to us.

Turn down a chance to give? I’m not doing that anymore! How do you feel about giving? Leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!