Sunday, June 3, 2012

“It Ain’t Ministry ‘Til It Hurts”


One morning, I had put out some special treats for my Sunday school class. I was about to send my group of teens off to attack the table of goodies, but when I saw my pastor coming into the room, I said, “Pastor first.” He stepped back and said, “Oh, no. Pastor last!” In this day and age where pastors would declare themselves to be kings, I found my pastor’s attitude absolutely refreshing.

I used to attend a church where the leaders of the church had the mantra, “It ain’t ministry ‘til it hurts.” And their work proved it. Personal time, attitudes, and comfort were often put on hold as they addressed the needs of the congregation and promoted the Word of God. These men and women sometimes worked past the point of exhaustion. Ministers, Deacons, Trustees—even Greeters and those who led other ministries—put aside their own needs and feelings to get the work done. Although they recognized that their position in the church was a privilege, hardly any boasted or took it for granted. They knew that along with title came great responsibility. There was even a gentle reminder written on the walls of the pastor’s study, “…To whom much is given, from him much will be required…” from Luke 12:48.

Jesus gave the greatest example of leadership in John 13. During the Last Supper, He got up from the meal and proceeded to wash His disciples’ feet. They objected to Jesus taking such a lowly position, as they looked to Him as their teacher and their leader. But Jesus told them, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.” (John 13:15) Jesus made it clear that leadership and ministry isn’t about lording our position over others, but about serving others with humility.

And Christ’s example doesn’t only apply to those who are recognized as leaders and who have been given titles. Even in the pews, we should adapt an attitude of, “What can I do to serve?” When we surrender our all to His will and His way, we might be amazed by what He can do through us.

There isn’t just one “I” in ministry because it’s not just about you. There are two I’s in ministry because God’s eyes are watching, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!