Sunday, December 4, 2011

Would You Be Your Friend?

A radio station recently posed a question to people passing on the street: “Would you be your own friend?” One of the first responses was, “No way, I’m a jerk! I wouldn’t even answer the phone if I called.” Another person, exuding self-confidence said, “I’m kind and loving and a great listener. I would be my best friend.” The range of questions prompted me to poll those around me.

I’m delighted to say that most of the people I know and love would be friends with themselves, as well. They cited their attractive qualities, such as thoughtfulness, pleasant disposition, and ability to have a good time with other people. And they gave examples of why they thought they are great friends to others.

Now each of these people happen to be Christian, and it made me further wonder if their faith had anything to do with their “friendability.” I thought of Galatians 5:22-23, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control….” It was interesting to me that many of the qualities they citied were right from that scripture.

Of course, this is not to say that a non-Christian cannot be friendly! However, the point is that as Christians, we have been called by Christ to walk a certain way, and that walk can help us in our interactions with those around us. We have the greatest friend of all in Jesus. And all He asks of us is that we demonstrate the same love to those around us as He has shown us.

Let’s be friends!

Now you can find me on twitter @aliciarharris.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!