Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hard Head = Soft Butt

I have to admit, I was a pretty stubborn kid. So I used to hear the following phrase a lot: “A hard head makes a soft butt.” However, I always thought the phrase should have been, “A hard head makes a sore butt.” That’s because I realized that hardheadedness usually leads to painful results. So even as an adult, I have to ask myself, “Why do we continue to be so stubborn?

The truth is, people want to do what they want to do. And when we are emotionally or selfishly driven, we seek to do what is right in our own minds at the time. This type of stubbornness, or hardheadedness, is unbecoming to a Christian. Proverbs 3:5 tells us plainly, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.” God wants us to do what He wants us to do.

How do we know what God wants us to do? When we stay prayerful and continually read the Scriptures, we strengthen our connection with Him. That makes it easier for us to hear His voice and receive His guidance. I’ve recently heard it said that we don’t listen for an audible voice, but as Christians, we know the calling of the Lord when we hear it. As Jesus said in John 10:27, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”

And the truth is…life is just so much easier when we follow the leading of the Lord. He is the author and finisher of our faith, so why wouldn’t we seek His guidance in our daily lives? He is the Creator—he has all the instructions! With that in mind, we should consider the Bible our instruction manual.

Let’s put aside our hardheadedness and learn to follow the direction of the Lord. Even when we don’t feel like it. Even when it’s uncomfortable. We know that in the end, stubbornness leads to destruction, while those who follow the Lord will enjoy great reward.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!