Sunday, November 14, 2010

“In a Relationship”

A friend of mine recently changed her Facebook status from “Single” to “In a Relationship.” I started to think about how as Christians, our daily status is “In a Relationship…With Jesus.” And I thought about how important it is for us to realize how precious our spiritual relationship with Him really is.

The one we love is sometimes called our “significant other.” The term implies that no matter how many others we have coming and going in our lives, there is “one” who has a significant impact on us. This is the one we care about most and the one we think about most often. A famous pickup line goes, “Wow, you must be tired, because you’ve been running around my mind all day.” While I’m not sure this line has led to any life-long relationships, the sentiment is correct. In our relationship with Jesus, He is on our mind all day—we’re thinking about Him and how to please Him, and thinking about what He’s thinking of us. He is the most significant “One” in our lives.

Being in a relationship also means taking time out to ensure the one you love knows you’re in love. This includes carving out time to spend with your loved one. When I wake up in the morning, I realize how important and special it is to start my day in conversation with Jesus. In fact, sometimes my prayers begin with, “Good morning, Lord.” It’s my way of letting Him know that I’m not coming before Him out of habit or compulsion, but a true desire to start my day with Him. And I dedicate one day a week, Sunday, to visit His house, talk with others about Him, and enjoy being surrounded by His presence. Giving my time is an important part of showing Him my love.

A relationship should not be taken for granted—it requires a lot of work. We often call it “give and take.” In our relationship with Jesus, we may sometimes feel like we take too much. After all, He gave His very life in order to have an eternal relationship with us. What can we possibly give Him in return? Well, the love we show others is our way of giving back to Him. And when we honor and praise Him with our thoughts and actions, He blesses us in return.

What I love most about being in a relationship with Jesus is that it never ends. In the physical world, He surrounds us with His love, and we know that when we pass on to a spiritual place, we will rest with Him in glory. It’s a relationship that goes on and on. With none other can your status be “In a Relationship” forever!

Throughout the book of Psalms, David declares his relationship status with the Lord. As I read his songs of praise, such as Psalm 145, I thank God that I am, and will forever be, “In a Relationship…With Jesus.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!