Sunday, January 24, 2010

Love Your Enemies

One of the most difficult concepts in the Bible is the idea of loving our enemies. Is it even possible to love someone who has done their best to cause us harm? Well, it is difficult, but it is not impossible.

Jesus himself said in Matthew 5:43–45, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”

Wow. That’s pretty hard for most of us to swallow. There are those in the world who are simply out to emotionally and/or physically hurt us. And our instruction from God is to love them and to even pray for them! This goes against everything society tells us. We’re supposed to prove that we’re not punks, plot our revenge, get the upper hand, and make them pay! Right?

Well…not if we want to live God’s way.

First and foremost, prayer is essential. When we spend time with God, it helps keep us from focusing all our attention on the enemy. Praying for our enemies also demonstrates obedience to the Lord and a willingness to trust in Him to work out the situation. Loving our enemies is one of the best ways to show God that we love Him.

Jesus knew what it was like to be persecuted. While here on earth, He endured many attacks from enemies. He was talked about, insulted, ridiculed and beaten. But He gave us the example to follow. In Matthew 5:46–48, Jesus says, “If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

I’m going to love those who hate me, because I love Him most of all.



1 comment:

  1. Sis Alicia, I have been trying to practice that but I must admit that its not always easy. I was actually reading Luke 6:27-36 earlier today and then I saw your blog. I guess thats my confirmation to keep working on loving my enemies. Not for necessarily for them but for my love for HIM. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message!