Sunday, May 31, 2009

What’s Gospel About It? (Part I)

Every now and then, I’ll turn on the radio and hear a truly inspirational song. One whose lyrics touch my very soul and whose melody inspires me to reflect on someone or something in my life. Yet hardly am I ever confused about the genre of the song. Usually, it fits neatly into its bucket of R&B, Pop, Rock, or Gospel. But then there are those times when the lines are blurred.

I recently participated in a lively discussion at the beauty shop about a particular song that was playing. My hairdresser had the radio set to a popular Urban station. You know, the kind that is likely to have Keyshia Cole, Jamie Foxx, and Mary J. Blige in its rotation. The station began to play a song by an artist who is greatly known and respected in the Gospel community. One of the ladies yelled out, “That’s my song! Girl, I love Gospel music!” Well, that set off a pretty hot conversation about whether or not the song itself was a gospel song.

Using the “if it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck, it must be a duck” logic, some believed that since the song was recorded by a Gospel artist and produced by a Gospel label, it must be a Gospel song. Using the “if you put kittens in the oven, that doesn’t make them biscuits” logic, others believed that if the intent of the song was anything other than to bring the Good News (aka, “the Gospel”) or worship God, it could not truly be considered a Gospel song.

My brothers and sisters in Christ, this is an argument that has raged in the church for years. Remember the controversy that Gospel singer Pastor Al Green stirred up when he reverted to recording secular songs? And it’s not just an issue in the Black church either—today’s Christian Contemporary and Christian Rock artists often find their music is not so easily embraced by predominately white congregations.

Is it the beat or the tempo that dictates the “holiness” of the song? Is it the lyrics only? How do we define what is truly Gospel, and what is simply “inspirational”? Leave a comment and come back next week for Part II!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message!